Latest News

Garrard man dies in house fire

A Garrard County man died Wednesday evening in a fire that officials say started in his kitchen.

Garrard County Coroner Daryl Hodge identified the man as Danny Cates, 57.

A neighbor reported the fire at Cates' home, 112 Arbin Drive in Lancaster, about 7 p.m., Lancaster Fire Chief Richard Sebastian said. Cates was the only one home at the time.

"A person passing by did go in the house and drag the guy out," Sebastian said. "When I arrived, the person (Cates) was being given CPR, but he was burned." Cates was declared dead at the scene.

Sebastian said Cates had been cooking, and that the fire started in the kitchen around the stove. The rest of the house was intact but had heavy smoke damage Sebastian said.

Hodge said Cates worked as a school bus mechanic for years and had been a volunteer firefighter for District One, but had given it up because of health reasons.

"He was a fine man," Hodge said. "He was a friend, and I hate it."

Hodge took Cates' body to the state Medical Examiner's Office in Frankfort; he said an autopsy will be performed Thursday morning.

  Comments