Latest News

Faulty heating causes two Lexington house fires

The Lexington fire department has determined the causes of two fires that started early Wednesday morning, both of which displaced residents.

Battalion Chief Marshall Griggs said that the first fire, which started around 12:43 a.m. at 3693 Claredon Drive, was caused by a woodburning stove. Griggs said the fire was started because the flue pipe of the wood burning stove failed and caused part of the roof to ignite.

The fire department had the fire put out just after 1 a.m. The five residents stayed with family members.

"It is unusual to have heating fires this time of year," Griggs said. "But it was unusually cold last night, so people were firing up things they hadn't used in a while."

The other fire, which started around 2 a.m. at 1992A Fair Oaks Drive, was also caused by a response to colder temperatures: Griggs said the resident was attempting to heat the home with her oven when something ignited.

Griggs said the fire was contained to one side of the duplex; the other side had only minor smoke damage. One person was in the house at the time. Griggs said she stayed at her daughter's house; the Red Cross provided clothing and food.

  Comments