A fire at the Steeplechase Apartments, 320 Lindenhurst Drive in Lexington, on Wednesday afternoon has displaced the residents of 16 apartments.
Fire department Battalion Chief Harold Hoskins said an electrical problem started the fire in the ceiling of a ground-floor apartment of Building 17. Firefighters got the call at about 3:55 p.m. and doused the flames within 20 minutes after arriving. No one was home in the apartment where the fire started.
The fire damaged adjoining apartments, and all 16 units in the building have to be evacuated because plumbing and electrical service will be shut off for repairs, Hoskins said. The Red Cross is helping eight people find temporary housing; the rest of the building's residents are staying with friends or family.
Some of the residents might be able to move back in as early as Thursday, Hoskins said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader