A federal grand jury indicted 12 more people from Kentucky, Indiana and Tennessee in conjunction with a marriage fraud ring, according to a press release issued Wednesday from U.S. Attorney David J. Hale's office based in the Western District of Kentucky.
A total of 35 people have now been indicted in the case.
Kong Cheng Ty, 43, of Danville, and Sokbay Lim, 45, of Dover, were included in the new list of indictments. The suspects were charged with conspiracy to commit marriage fraud, and many were also charged with marriage fraud and visa fraud.
Investigators believe seven people are organizing the fraud, the release said.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
#ReadLocal
The government says those indicted Wednesday are "engaged in a conspiracy to obtain lawful permanent residence in the United States for Cambodian nationals by way of fraudulent marriages and engagements."
The release said the American citizens were offered all-expenses-paid trips to Cambodia, and that the trips included airfare, lodging, food, drinks, entertainment and sexual acts from Cambodian prostitutes. The acts allegedly took place between Jan. 1, 1999 and April 7, 2010.
Sharon Lee Spalding, 44, of Lexington, Justin Michael Martin, 25, and Donald McKinley Martin, 27, both of Georgetown, and Chok Chan, 49, of Mount Sterling were among those indicted previously; they have since pleaded guilty.
More than 15 marriages and attempted marriages were recorded.
Should they be convicted, the accused could face up to 75 years in prison, a $2.75 million fine and supervised release for up to 33 years.
Dates and locations for arraignment have not yet been determined.
Comments