Latest News

Toddler traveling in Kentucky dies of carbon monoxide poisoning

FRANKFORT — A West Virginia toddler died Friday after she apparently inhaled carbon monoxide while inside her family's vehicle.

Franklin County Coroner William Harrod said Brienna Scruggs was driving with her parents from West Virginia to Indianapolis on Friday afternoon on I-64 when her parents noticed that one of their three children seemed to be in distress. The couple, whose names were not released, pulled over in Frankfort and took their children to the Frankfort Regional Medical Center at 4:30 p.m. Friday. Harrod said all three children were unconscious by the time the family reached the Frankfort hospital. Two of the children were treated with oxygen and then flown to Kosair Children's Hospital in Louisville. Brienna Scruggs was pronounced dead at 6:35 p.m.

The two other children in the car were responding well to treatment, Harrod said.

Harrod said the preliminary cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning, but a full autopsy has not yet been completed. Tests will also be done on an older model minivan the family was traveling in.

  Comments