In the twelve days preceding Christmas, I will post a cookie recipe. I have parented seven children between the ages of eleven and twenty-eight, so cookies are a staple in my home during the holidays.
The cookie featured today was chosen for its simplicity...three ingredients and a snap to make after a busy day. I've made this cookie for over two decades and the union of crunchy and creamy has proven to be more enduring than two marriages.
Haystack Cookies (makes 30 -36 cookies)
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
(1) 12 oz package Chow Mein Noodles (in the grocery aisle of Asian food)
(1) 11 oz package Butterscotch Morsels
12 oz Creamy Peanut Butter
1. Stir the Butterscotch Morsels and Peanut Butter together in a double boiler until melted.
2. Pour melted mixture over the Chow Mein Noodles in a large mixing bowl. I find it is easiest to add the melted mixture to the noodles in three batches, coating the noodles gently with a large spatula.
3. Use an ice cream scooper to make rounded piles (hence the name) on wax paper. Let dry 1 - 3 hours until no longer glossy and wet looking. You may store the Haystacks in tins once they take on a flat appearance and are no longer shiny. Keep in the refrigerator or a cool place.