Lexington Burger Week is this week and here's help boning up on all the options before it begins.
The city's beefiest week is July 9 through July 15 with 40 different options this year. The full list is online at lexingtonburgerweek.com.
Each is only $5, but participating restaurants do run out, so be prepared to order something else. And if you're lucky enough to get the special burger, you are encouraged to order sides and drinks to go with because the price is so affordable.
This year, there are several menu trends to watch:
- It's gonna be hot. As in chilis and spicy stuff. Such as The Red, Hot & Boom from Sage Rabbit, with smoked jalapenos on a house-ground ribeye and top round burger with Cholula bacon and mornay on a toasted bun. And Green & Hot at Ted's Montana Grill, with pepper jack cheese, grilled jalapenos and rustic guac and sriracha aioli. Or the Jalapeno Double Popper from Smashburger, which layers beef, cream cheese, grilled jalapenos and haystack onions with chipotle mayo. Or the Smoked Green Chile Cheeseburger at County Club. You get the idea.
- Lots of foreign cuisine influences. Such as the Berlin Burger from Bear & the Butcher, with a German bratwurst beef patty topped with house sauerkraut. Or the East Meets West Sixth from Smithtown Seafood with ginger and soy mushroom duxelles topped with Counter Culture kimchi and ginger mayo. Or the Croque MonZurger from Azur, a take on the classic croque monsieur with smoked ham, gruyere cheese and dijon. Or the Spartan, Athenian Grill's lamb and sirloin burger with with htipiti (spicy feta spread). Or Drake's Korean BBQ Burger with Kimchi Slaw. Or Harry's American Grill Caprese Burger or Cordon Blue Burger.
- Of course there's bourbon. Harry's BBQ Cordon Blue Burger has bourbon barbecue sauce, and Tolly Ho's Hungover Ho has bourbon honey sauce. Locals' has MO Bourbon Burger, with mushrooms and onions braised on bourbon gravy with melted Swiss. And Brooklyn Pizza's Bourbon for Breakfast has Swiss, an over-easy egg, applewood smoked bacon and maple syrup bourbon glaze. And of course the Bourbon Legend at Griffin Gate Marriott Resort, with fried green tomatoes, bourbon candied bacon and sriracho mayo. And Horseshoes' Bourbon Bacon Jam Out Burger, with (of course) bourbon bacon jam.
- Things that aren't burgers. Such as The Pie Expectation, Willie's Locally Known's American cheeseburger pot pie. "Oh No You Didn't" Burger from J. Render's, a patty with barbecue sauce (or course), smoked mac and cheese and cheese on Texas toast. And the Big$tack CrunchRap from Girls, Girls, Girls Burritos, spicy beef in a crispy flour tortilla (or a version with refried pinto beans if you're vegetarian.) And the Caribbean Burger from Fida's, which is a beef patty with Fida's BBQ jerk sauce, spicy hot slaw on plantain buns.
- Subtrends. Ones to watch: Pineapple on burgers this year. Piles of tortillas strips. Onion rings on burgers, not on the side.