A suspected flu case reported in Fayette County last week has been confirmed as swine flu, Kentucky health officials said Thursday.
The patient, a Lexington man who became sick early last week after a trip to Alabama, received anti-viral drugs and has recovered, according to the Kentucky Department for Public Health.
The report confirms Kentucky's third swine flu case. The others involved residents in Daviess and Hardin counties.
Kentucky officials are awaiting test results from two possible flu cases in Montgomery and Hardin counties.
No new cases were reported in Kentucky on Thursday.
However, Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway issued a warning urging Kentuckians to be alert for con artists using the flu breakout to extract money from unsuspecting people.
Conway said residents should not respond to unsolicited e-mails or Internet advertisements offering bogus products to protect families from the flu virus. Internet security firms have reported increasing numbers of sites advertising such items, Conway's office said.
"As we have seen ... con artists seize every opportunity to prey on the fears of unsuspecting consumers to make a quick buck," Conway said. "Their intentions ... are either to obtain money for worthless products they're advertising, or to obtain personal information from consumers to steal their identities or access their bank accounts."
Anyone receiving unsolicited e-mail messages offering flu cures should forward them to the Federal Trade Commission at email@example.com, officials said. Anyone seeing print ads for such items should report them to the state Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division at 1-888-432-9357.