During this holiday season enjoy the simple pleasures that give you joy and satisfaction. I talk all year long about how frugality will allow you to afford some luxuries in your life. When I talk about luxury I don’t always mean that brand new car or tropical vacation but what I want you to do is enjoy everyday life.
Practicing frugality allows you to organize your life and think in such a way as to control your own happiness. There are many precious moments in life that are lost because we associate pleasures with products. Now that my children are older some of the holiday rituals are just memories that are special to me.
I remember visiting Santa, riding around town looking at people’s lights, making gingerbread houses and decorating the tree. These memories didn’t cost me much money but they are something I always will remember.
In our culture there has always been a stigma attached to money. We don’t talk about it to others but we try to show others how much we have. Take a look at the past year. Did you work on paying down your credit cards? Did you spend too much on the holidays to get everyone just what they wanted? Are all your bills getting paid?
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
Starting 2016 off with a financial plan will help you achieve your dream of financial security. Sit down make a budget. Justify all your monthly expenses. This is a true test for an individual or family to make changes for the better. Imagine sitting at the table on Jan. 1, 2017 feeling you accomplished your financial goal of 2016.
The University of Kentucky College of Agriculture, Food and Environment has 12 downloadable publications (fcs-hes.ca.uky.edu/publications-list/12) from How to get out of Debt to Financial Strain and the Lemon Experience of Life. These publications have lots of knowledge to help you realize your 2016 goals.
▪ Planning on purchasing a Star Wars toy? Print out coupon for a free $10 Toys R Us gift card with $50 Star Wars toys purchase at Toys R Us or $25 Toys R Us gift card with $100 Stars Wars purchase at Toys R Us: Bit.ly/1S8NHx9.
▪ Through January 31st, print out a coupon valid for $5 off your next $15 FedEx Ground shipment at a FedEx Office or any staffed FedEx location: Bit.ly/1NAQYlv.
▪ Through Dec. 31, 2017, you can earn 10 points for every $1 spent at Walgreens. Just add this perk to your Balance Rewards Card. In addition to EveryDay Points, you can earn bonus points on featured items. Note that the dollar amount spent is calculated after store coupons, but before manufacturer’s coupons. Remember that points are not earned if they are redeemed in the same transaction. Some exclusions apply: http://bit.ly/1QW24DW.
▪ Cambellshop.com has its 12-month Wall Calendar on sale for $6.95 (originally $16.95) with free shipping. The calendar comes with $8 of coupons on Campbell’s products: Campbellshop.com/campbell-kids-calendar-2016.
▪ Join the Club Cinnabon and get a taste of the sweet life with a coupon good for one FREE Minibon cinnamon roll at participating bakeries. You will also receive a coupon for a FREE MochaLatta Chill on your birthday: On.fb.me/1O7affM.
▪ Fill out the form to receive a FREE 18 count sample of o.b. Pro Comfort tampons and a coupon good for a free box. To qualify you must select C for question 1 and select yes for question 2: Bit.ly/1kfcBx1.
▪ Through Dec. 30, Panda Express is offering $3 off any $5 or more purchase whenever you place an online order at PandaExpress.com or via the mobile app and use promotional code LetsEat at checkout.
▪ Download the Taco Bell app (iPhone or Android) to get a FREE Freeze Slush. All you have to do is open the app and create an account. Then, scroll down to the bottom of the app and play the puzzle a few times. You’ll eventually get a coupon added to your app valid for the FREE Freeze. This is valid through Jan. 21.
▪ Check out this deal for free food at Subway. Just text OFFER to 782929 to get a discount offer. Plus, when you sign-up you’ll receive access to weekly offers. Standard text message rates apply.
▪ Donate at Kentucky Blood center by Dec. 31. As a thank you for donating blood you will receive a pair of movie passes: Kybloodcenter.org.
▪ Get 50 percent off any one album of your choice at Google Play: http://bit.ly/1m6bNfZ. Your discount will be applied at checkout.
▪ Right now, House Party is accepting applications to host a Bounty Mess Free, Stress Free House Party on Feb. 7, Super Bowl Sunday. If selected as a host, your exclusive party pack will include a $10 Meijer gift card, foam football, pennant flags and more: Houseparty.com/event/bounty.
Buy $10 worth of Revlon lip, nail, foundation, powder, blush, concealer or eye product and get $4 in extracare bucks. Match it with the $3 Revlon coupon found in the Dec. 13 Smart Source insert in the Herald-Leader.
Buy two Hershey’s Holiday Kisses or miniatures for $3 each and receive $2 in extracare bucks with purchase of two. Match it with the $1 coupon found in Dec. 6 Smart Source insert.
Right now Target is doing a great promotion. When you pre-order The Martian movie for $19.99, you get a free $10 Target gift card for your purchase, bringing the total for the movie to $9.99. This movie will ship free on its release date, which is Jan. 12: http://bit.ly/1mfQojT.
Checkout Target Cartwheel app that lets you add additional discounts to your order by just scanning the coupon on your smartphone. For example: 50 percent off Dentyne Gum, 50 percent off Kashi Organic Chewy Bars and 35 percent off M&M’s Holiday Candies, and remember you can stack coupons with these offers.
Deborah Morris' every-other-week column, The Fru-Gal, can help you get more for less. Go to her website, Fru-gal-friends.com.