Searchable Databases


Date story was published: Sunday, October 18, 1998

BATON ROUGE, La. - Under its second-year head coach, Kentucky got adramatic ending to break a 21-year jinx last night.

UK sophomore Seth Hanson booted a 33-yard field goal as time ran out togive the Wildcats a wild 39-36 win over No. 21 LSU at Tiger Stadium. It wasKentucky's first victory against a ranked team on the road since beating theTigers in 1977.

The field goal was set up by a 38-yard reverse by UK's Quentin McCord, justwhen the Tigers apparently had been lured into thinking UKCoach Hal Mumme wasplaying for overtime. The score was tied at 36 when Kentucky took over at itsown 26-yard line with 1:57 left in the game The Cats ran two conservativerunning plays and let the clock run.

There was 1:05 left, and UK faced a third-and-12 at its own 24, when Mummehad quarterback Tim Couch give the ball to McCord. It was the same play thesophomore receiver took 80 yards for a touchdown on the first play of lastweek's win over South Carolina.

This time, McCord took the ball to the LSU 33. On the next play, Couch hittight end Jimmy Haley for 14 yards to the 19. A 3-yard run by Anthony Whiteput the ball at the 16, and UK let the clock tick down to three seconds beforecalling timeout.

On came Hanson, who drilled the 33-yarder as the final horn sounded,catapulting Kentucky to 5-2 overall and 2-2 in the SEC. LSU lost its thirdstraight. The disappointing Tigers are 3-3 overall and 1-3 in the SEC.

Couch completed 37 of 50 passes for 391 yards and three touchdowns.Receiver Craig Yeast caught seven passes for 122 yards and two scores. Whitescored on two runs himself.

The Cats held LSU's Kevin Faulk to 67 yards on 20 carries. His longest runwas 18 yards. Still, the Tigers fought back from a 36-22 deficit in the fourthquarter, and appeared headed to overtime before McCord's run.

Kentucky broke a 22-all tie with touchdowns on successive third-quarterdrives.

The first was an 80-yard, 16-play march that ended with Couch hitting CraigYeast for a 5-yard score. The second was a 51-yard march after an LSU fumble.The drive ended with Couch finding James Whalen for a 6-yard touchdown and a36-22 UK lead with eight seconds left in the third quarter.

LSU scored three minutes into the fourth quarter, however. Tigersquarterback Herb Tyler hit true freshman Reggie Robinson for a 43-yardcompletion (on a ball UK corner Marvin Love at first seemed to have possessionof), taking it to the 7-yard line. Two plays later, Tyler scored on a 3-yardrun. The extra point cut the Kentucky lead to a touchdown, 36-29, with 11:50left.

The Cats appeared to be headed back the other direction. Couch hit McCordon the first play for a 22-yard gain, but a holding penalty followed by twosuccessive intentional grounding penalties moved the football back to the1-yard line for a third-and-51. UK got 20 yards back on a pass completion,then punted.

LSU took over at its 40 with 9:46 to play. The Tigers moved to a first downat the UK 30-yard line. The Tigers faced a fourth-and-9 at the 29, butKentucky was called for defensive holding, giving the Tigers a first down atthe 16.

Tyler broke a couple of tackles up the middle and scored standing up. Theextra point tied it at 36 with 5:25 left.

Kentucky's last win over a ranked team on hostile territory was a 33-13whipping of LSU in 1977 at Tiger Stadium. That Kentucky team ended the year10-1.

Kentucky blocked a 28-yard field goal last night that would have tied thescore at 16 with 13:04 left in the third quarter. Earlier, the Tigers missed a29-yard field goal when it hit the upright.

After the block, Kentucky drove 80 yards in nine plays with Couch throwinga perfect 15-yard touchdown pass to Yeast, giving UK a 22-13 lead. But LSUblocked the extra point attempt and defensive back Mark Roman returned thekick for a two-point conversion to cut the lead to 22-15.

Then LSU tied it. The Tigers took the kickoff, and three snaps later, Tylerthrew to Larry Foster. UK's Ronnie Riley, a freshman linebacker, went for theinterception, slipped, and Foster was off for a 42-yard touchdown.

Kentucky led 14-0 early in the second quarter, only to see LSU dominate thefinal 11 minutes of the second period.

First, the Tigers got a 30-yard kickoff return from Rondell Mealey, givingthe home team possession at the 46. Three straight times the Tigers convertedon third down. And finally Tyler scoring from four yards out to get LSU on thescoreboard with 6:35 left until halftime.

Without the clock moving, Kentucky added to its lead, however. A bad snapon the extra point was deflected to kicker Danny Boyd, who chased after theball, but was not able to pick it up. Instead, UK's Anthony Kelly scooped upthe football at the 27-yard line and proceeded 73 yards for a two-pointconversion, extending Kentucky's lead to 16-6. It was the first time in UKhistory that the Cats scored a defensive conversion.

LSU's next possession, Tyler found wide receiver Larry Foster againstcornerback Marvin Love in the UK secondary. Rolling left, Tyler heaved theball to the end zone. Love, behind a step, never looked back for the ball,committed pass interference, but Foster still made the catch for a touchdown.This time, LSU's snap and extra point were perfect, cutting the lead to 16-13with 3:20 left in the second quarter.

Kentucky outgained the Tigers 251-153 in the first half. Couch completed 12of 16 passes for 145 yards. At one point, Couch completed nine straightpasses. LSU's Tyler completed nine of 12 passes for 127 yards and onetouchdown in the first half.

LSU took the opening kickoff and drove to the Kentucky 12-yard line, butBoyd's 29-yard field goal attempt hit the right upright, bouncing back intothe end zone.