Searchable Databases


Date story was published: Sunday, December 15, 1985

LAWRENCE, Kan. - "When I think of Kentucky," Ron Kellogg had said before the game, "I think of revenge."

Last night's 83-66 rout of UK gave Kellogg and Kansas happier memories of the Wildcats.

A miserable start, in which UK fell behind by 13 in the game's first seven minutes, proved too big a deficit to clip as Kentucky lost for the first time in six games under new coach Eddie Sutton.

Kansas, ranked seventh in the nation, delighted a sellout crowd at Allen Fieldhouse and improved its record to 8-1.

Equally nice for the Jayhawks was avenging last year's 92-89 loss to Kentucky and claiming only its second victory in the 18 games between the two schools.

UK, which trailed by as much as 14 points in the first half, had hopes of pulling off a Houdini act. Those hopes were dashed in the first five minutes of the second half.

In that time, the Wildcats were outscored 11-4 (to fall behind 53-40) and, more importantly, lost Kenny Walker for the remainder of the game.

Walker caught an elbow in the face when hulking Greg Dreiling rebounded his own miss with 16:48 remaining in the game.

Walker, who had scored 12 points to that point, fell into a row of photographers at courtside and stayed there for several minutes.

Walker finally walked slowly to the UK dressing room, where a doctor was called to attend his injury.

With Walker's departure went UK's hopes.

Even with him, UK got in trouble in the half's first few minutes.

Danny Manning hit a jumper to get Kansas' lead to double figures (44-34) on the half's first basket.

Then Manning deflected a feed into Rob Lock, who started the second half for the undersized Cats. Manning, a 6-11 sophomore, fed Cedric Hunter for a layup and Kansas was rolling again.

Back-to-back baskets by Manning put UK in serious trouble. He hit a jumper, after pump-faking Walker off his feet. Walker was called for a foul when he came down and Manning made the free throw to increase the lead to 51-38.

After Walker missed at the other end, Manning hit a 15-footer off an in-bounds pass.

Any doubt about the outcome vanished when Walker went down.

Even a fighter like Winston Bennett sagged visibly when Richard Madison was called for a walk with the Wildcats trailing 55-40. At that point, Bennett hung his head for a second before trotting upcourt.

Imagine the worst for Kentucky - something on the order of Toyota canceling its plans for a plant in Scott County - and that's how poorly the Wildcats got off.

How bad was it?

This bad: With 16:53 still remaining in the first half, UK had no points. Kenny Walker and Winston Bennett, Kentucky's dependable height, had two fouls each. And Eddie Sutton had been hit with a technical foul.

The Wildcats were trailing 5-0 at that point. The deficit grew to 14-1 before Kentucky finally got a basket when Rob Lock posted up with 13:13 to go in the first half.

Kansas got its lead to as much as 14 (20-6) on Calvin Thompson's fastbreak slam.

Kentucky got no closer than eight until the final minute of the half and left the floor trailing 42-34.

UK's poor start began with the game's first possession. Ed Davender missed a jumper in the lane and Bennett was called for a foul on the rebound.

Ditto on the Cats' second possession. Only this time Bennett missed from the baseline and James Blackmon fouled on the rebound.

Kansas, which seemed anxious to please the raucous crowd, started slowly, too.

The Jayhawks didn't get a hoop until Danny Manning posted up for a basket with 2:32 gone, giving Kansas a 3-0 lead.

Then, things broke loose.

With 7-foot-1 Greg Dreiling posting strong, Walker was called for holding even though Dreiling bulled the UK star to the floor on his way to the basket.

Sutton charged five feet onto the court and had to be restrained by assistant coach James Dickey.

Thompson made both technical free throws. On its possession, Kansas got a basket when Manning hit from the top of the key, making it 9-0.

The lead grew to 14-1 on a Dreiling stuff over Bennett. On the play Bennett was called for his third foul and left the game.

Then, just as UK seemed out of it, the Cats came back.

Walker keyed the surge, getting his first basket at the 11:06 mark and scoring 10 points in the half.

Walker's emergence seemed to breathe live into UK.

Ed Davender's steal, off his patented fake and dive into a passing lane, brought UK within eight points at 20-12 with nine minutes to go.

The teams traded baskets for most of the half's remaining minutes.

UK broke the spell in the final 30 seconds. James Blackmon rebounded his own miss to cut the lead to 40-32. Then, Roger Harden sank two free throws after being fouled on a rebound of a Kansas miss.

Harden made two free throws, making the score 40-34.

Kansas got the final basket of the half half when reserve Archie Marshall rebounded a miss with 20 seconds to go.