Searchable Databases


Date story was published: Sunday, December 28, 1986

LOUISVILLE -- Big Brother, indeed.

Eddie Sutton proclaimed Kentucky the "Big Brother" of this rivalry and, as in the Orwellian vision, "Big Brother" was everywhere yesterday in smashing Louisville 85-51.

How all-encompassing was it?

The defeat was Louisville's worst since Feb. 13, 1956 (Xavier 99, U of L 59).

It was Louisville coach Denny Crum's worst, period. An 86-64 loss to North Carolina on Dec. 29, 1980, was his previous nadir.

For Kentucky, the victory gave its fans a delightful glimpse of the brave new world of the three-pointer.

The Wildcats hit a season high of 11 three-point shots. Rex Chapman led the way with five three-point shots and 26 points.

The brick-throwing Cardinals had one three-pointer.

But that predictable edge was just one UK enjoyed on this truly Blue afternoon. To the surprise of most, the Wildcats also ruled the inside. UK outrebounded Louisville 41-33, and its three inside players outscored U of L's starting front line 24-17.

Richard Madison and Rob Lock led the way. Madison grabbed 17 rebounds. He converted two into baskets during a 22-4 UK run that began the second half and broke the game open.

Lock outscored (nine to four) and outrebounded (seven to four) Louisville's Pervis Ellison, who Crum said re-sprained an ankle on Christmas.

"He didn't look like he was into it," Louisville forward Herb Crook said of Ellison. "Sometimes he just wasn't in position."

Lock, meanwhile, punctuated the rout with back-to-back dunks in the closing minute.

"Coach Sutton said this game was 50-50 with everything normal," Lock said. "Who ever thought we'd play abnormal and win by 30? You hardly ever beat anybody on the road like that, be it Louisville or a Division II school.

"Think of it. Our team dunking on Louisville. We're not known for dunking, but they may name us Phi Slamma Jamma Part II after this."

For now UK must settle for a 6-1 record as it heads into Tuesday's Southeastern Conference opener against Georgia here. Louisville fell to 4-6.

"I thought Kentucky did just about everything you can do right," Crum said. "They played exceptionally well in all phases. And we got beat in about every way you can. If they play that well, there's not anybody in the country they can't beat."

About the only thing Kentucky did wrong was fill out its starting lineup incorrectly. Sutton made a last-minute decision to start Madison in place of Irv Thomas. But the UK coach forgot to inform the scorer's table. That meant Thomas had to start.

"Miscommunication," assistant James Dickey called it.

Sutton waited 50 seconds before inserting Madison.

Twenty-two seconds later, Sutton replaced Ed Davender with Derrick Miller as the Wildcats regrouped their press offense.

Sutton completed a whirlwind of coaching at the 18:26 mark with a timeout after Louisville scored the game's first basket.

"Coach Sutton said the main thing was to keep the crowd out of the game," Lock said of the quick timeout. "Louisville's a high-flying team. If they got running, we'd be in trouble."

Not on this day. "I can't believe I'm saying this," Lock said, "but we've had louder crowds at Rupp than this."

A barrage of three-pointers helped quiet the sellout Freedom Hall crowd of 19,513.

Three of UK's first four baskets were from three-point territory. The middle one, a bomb launched by Chapman from beyond the NBA line, seemed to signal that Kentucky was on its game. Of UK's 15 first-half baskets, seven were three-pointers.

"When he hit that first one, oooh, they didn't miss," Ellison said.

UK hit seven of 10 three-pointers in the first half, matching its seasonal high. The Cats made seven against Iona in last weekend's UKIT.

Chapman led the way. The freshman from Owensboro hit three three-pointers in the half and went into intermission with 18 points.

Besides the three-pointers, Chapman had a fast-break layup he had to adjust from a dunk to a finger-roll in midair as a defender challenged. He also hit a 15-footer to close the half while being undercut by Crook.

"I believe anything he shoots," Crook said of the acrobatic shot.

"I thought I got fouled," said Chapman of the shot that gave UK a 38-28 halftime lead.

Overexuberance may have been Chapman's lone problem. In the late stages of the first half, he had a dunk attempt in traffic blocked by Ellison.

With about five minutes remaining and UK ahead 27-18, Chapman shot from several feet beyond the NBA line drawn on the Freedom Hall floor.

After that shot, Sutton called Chapman over for a conference.

"He said I shot it too quick," Chapman said.

Did he say too far, too, a reporter asked.

"No," Chapman said, "just too quick."

What made the performance even more memorable is that Chapman was playing hurt for much of the half. Less than five minutes into the game, he caught an elbow on the side of the head while driving the baseline.

"When you shoot them like that, you're probably going to win," Crum said of UK's seven-of-10 first-half shooting of three-pointers. "And it didn't seem to stop in the next half. When we did do a good job and had a hand in the face, they made the shots anyway."

UK made three more three-pointers in the 22-4 run that began the second half. That spurt gave Kentucky a 60-32 lead with 11:30 remaining.

Rebounding also was a key in the run. Offensive rebounds led to three UK baskets.

Madison, who had 15 second-half rebounds, had a hand in all three.

He grabbed a Chapman three-point miss and banked it in for the half's first basket. Madison was fouled on the play and hit the free throw to put UK ahead 41-28.

Madison also grabbed a rebound and fed a lob to Lock. The pass was challenged over the basket and somehow fell through.

A minute later, a loose ball found Madison in the lane and he shot it in to give Kentucky its first 20-point lead, 48-28.

"One time, a rebound hit me in the back," Madison said. "Things like that happened for us today."

At the 11:34 mark, the lead neared 30 (60-32) and Wildcat fans could have dreamed of 40. Or more.

Only Louisville backup center Felton Spencer, who scored his 10 points in the final 10 minutes, had a response as the Cats purred along.

"Everything went our way," Irv Thomas said. "We didn't give them a chance."