Searchable Databases


Date story was published: Thursday, January 28, 1988

NASHVILLE -- Scott Draud fueled an avalanche of three-pointers with a school record-tying six, leading Vanderbilt to an 83-66 victory over Kentucky last night.

Draud, who attended Fort Thomas Highlands High School, hit three three- pointers in each half and finished with a game-high 22 points. The bombs were among the 13 Vandy used to snap a 13-game losing streak against UK.

For Vandy, which hit a school-record 15 three-pointers against Morehead State earlier this season, it was the second worst beating a Commodore team had ever inflicted on Kentucky. Only a 97-79 victory in 1965 was more one- sided.

"The way they played tonight, they could have beaten anybody in the country," UK coach Eddie Sutton said. "Tonight was a great example of how the college game has changed with the three-point shot. I don't think the three- pointer has affected our team in the two years of the rule like it did tonight."

The previous high for three-pointers against the Cats was the 10 North Carolina-Charlotte made in last month's UKIT finals.

Vandy, which improved to 12-4 overall and 5-3 in the Southeastern Conference, gave Kentucky a textbook example of the double-edged sword it can wield.

The Cats had to give help inside against all-SEC center Will Perdue, who scored 17. But that left the three-point shooters relatively free.

"About every time we sagged, they nailed the three-pointer," UK guard Ed Davender said. "I thought they had to start missing. I guess I thought wrong."

Draud was the hottest of the Commodores. "He ran a fever," Sutton said. Draud's back-to-back three-pointers pushed Vandy to a 17-13 lead and quelled UK's quick start.

But Draud's biggest shot came in the second half. It followed an unbelievable offensive rebounding exhibition by the Cats. Trailing 52-46, the Cats put up at least six shots, four by freshman LeRon Ellis.

All missed.

When Vandy finally got a rebound, the ball went to Draud, who matter-of- factly nailed a demoralizing three-pointer to extend the lead to 55-46.

Thereafter, UK briefly got as close as three. But the Cats were never able to regain the lead.

"I felt very comfortable, fluid and smooth with my shot," Draud said. "Every now and then, it's like that. Shooters tend to be streaky. That was sort of the way I felt tonight."

Tell me about it, Davender said.

"One time I jumped out and was right in his face," Davender said. "I did everything I should to challenge the shot. And he made it."

The shooting was made all the sweeter by being a Kentuckian, Draud admitted.

"You don't grow up in Kentucky and not want to go to Kentucky," Draud said. "It's great to be able to beat the hometown team."

Another Vandy guard, Barry Booker, was almost as hot. He made four of six three-pointers. Forward Charles Mayes, the SEC Rookie of the Week last week, followed the six he made against Auburn last Saturday by hitting two of three.

"The three-pointer is a big part of what we're about," Vandy coach C.M. Newton said. "We're a pretty good team when we're shooting the ball."

UK, now 13-3 overall, fell to 6-3 in the SEC. Florida beat LSU last night to stay atop the standings at 6-1. The Gators come to Nashville Saturday.

"I hope they shoot that well against Florida Saturday," Sutton said. "There's no question they'll beat Florida if they play like this."

UK was hampered by Rex Chapman's foul trouble.

Chapman picked up his fourth foul with 16:47 left in the game. UK trailed 46-44 at that point. When he returned with 7:52 left, Vandy held a 66-58 lead.

The fourth foul came as Chapman was guarding Mayes along the sideline, some 25 feet from the basket.

"All ball," Chapman said of the call.

However, he conceded his third foul, a charge in the final three seconds of the first half was justified call.

"It was such a helpless feeling," Chapman said of the foul trouble. "A horrible feeling."

UK called a timeout before reinserting Chapman, presumedly to discuss cutting off the three-pointers.

Vandy crossed up the Cats by having another Kentuckian, Barry Goheen, run a back-door cut and take a Perdue pass for a layup.

It was that kind of night for UK.

Vandy rained seven three-pointers on Kentucky in the first half. But the Commodores held only a 44-38 halftime lead.

UK's post-up offense from its forwards and Vandy's knack for playing on the brink of a turnover kept the Cats close.

Winston Bennett, whose play in the post helped the Cats win at LSU Saturday, worked inside for 10 first-half points. Richard Madison added another basket on a post-up as UK moved its centers outside to free the forwards inside.

That inside offense plus a healthy Chapman fueled the Cats to an early 11-5 edge.

Showing no ill effects from Monday's sprained right ankle, Chapman tossed in two straight baskets to give UK a 9-5 edge. It was part of a 13-point half for Chapman. He finished with a team-high 18.

Chapman then fed Ed Davender for a layup on a give-and-go play to make it 11-5.

But Vandy's combination of three-point shooters and Perdue controlled the rest of the half.

Two straight Perdue baskets tied it at 11-11.

Draud hit back-to-back three-pointers, part of Vandy's 7-for-11 half from beyond the line, to give the Commodores a 17-13 lead.

The lead grew to as much as 26-19 on Eric Reid's driving dunk.

"Early in the first half, you kind of let them shoot them just to see if they're hitting," Chapman said. "When they were, we quit sagging and Perdue got going. Then you have to help out on him and they start hitting."

Trailing 32-31 thanks to Chapman's three-pointer -- UK's only three-point attempt of the half -- Vandy reeled off eight straight points.

After Chapman's three-pointer, Perdue beat UK's defense downcourt and dunked as Sean Sutton held his arm.

Perdue missed the free throw, but tapped the ball to Booker outside the three-point line. Booker hit the three-pointer.

Another Booker three-pointer gave Vandy a 39-32 lead.

Vandy stretched the margin to 42-34, but UK sandwiched four points around a Draud turnover against the press.

Trailing 42-38, UK had a chance to cut further into the lead in the final 15 seconds.

After waving off his teammates, Chapman went one-on-one. Instead of pulling up for a 15-footer, he drove inside the lane and jumped into Reid as he went up for the shot.

Reid got the charging call and hit two free throws with three seconds left to give Vandy its 44-38 halftime lead.

Worse for UK, it was Chapman's third foul.

"I had Goheen completely behind me and thought about going all the way for the layup," Chapman said. "I was out of control. Of all my (four) fouls, that's the one I deserved."

Rob Lock's impersonation of Perdue early in the second half kept the Wildcats close. Lock hit UK's first three baskets of the half, two slams off rebounds over Perdue.

The deficit was still two at 48-46 when Mayes hit a three-pointer, Vandy's eighth of the game, to give the Commodores a 51-46 edge at the 15:31 mark.

The three-pointers continued falling. Draud sandwiched two around one by Goheen. Each of Draud's bombs gave the Commodores nine-point leads.

Draud's final three-pointer ballooned the lead to 75-63 with 3:21 left.

"We'd set one screen and they couldn't get around it," Perdue said of UK's defense. "After a while, it looked like they quit. It seemed they got frustrated.

"If you're not guarding our three-point shooters, I'd say they could hit 90 percent. It seemed like those guys weren't even guarding them."