Searchable Databases


Date story was published: Thursday, March 1, 1990

OXFORD, Miss. -- Any resemblance between the Gerald Glass who played in Lexington and the dominant figure here last night was purely coincidental.

A non-factor in Lexington, Glass had a triple double last night in leading Mississippi to a 88-74 victory over Kentucky.

Glass scored 34 points, grabbed 10 rebounds and had 10 assists.

Those numbers added up to a fourth arresting stat: UK flirted with its most lopsided loss of the season in a game Reggie Hanson did not leave early.

Only a 106-91 loss at Georgia was more lopsided. A layup by walk-on Tony Cooper with three seconds left allowed UK to avoid bottoming out.

The loss dropped UK to 14-13 overall and a final Southeastern Conference record of 10-8.

Ole Miss improved to 11-15 overall and 8-9 in the SEC.

Unlike in Lexington, Glass came alive in the first half. Glass poured in 15 points, and passed for several more baskets as Ole Miss emerged from a spurt-filled first half with a 47-42 lead.

Glass hit a variety of baskets. He dunked off the drive, dunked off a lob pass, hit a three-pointer and a pull-up jumper.

In Lexington, UK's traps held Glass to six first-half points. The Cats rolled to a 98-79 victory.

UK's traps seemed a step slow last night. Though just as patient as he was in the first game, Glass seemed sharper. His passes found teammates open repeatedly. His did not hesitate in shooting before the traps formed.

UK's Derrick Miller matched Glass' 15 first-half points.

Miller converted a three-point play to complete the game's first spurt.

Down 22-17, the Cats scored eight straight points to go ahead 25-22.

Reggie Hanson sparked the run. Hanson's tip-in started the run, then he intercepted a long pass against the press and converted with a three-point basket.

After another Ole Miss turnover, Miller broke to a layup and three-point play to give UK a 25-22 lead.

Ole Miss countered with an 11-0 run. Junior college transfer Patrick Eddie fueled the Rebel rally.

Eddie, a gangly 6-11 center and fan favorite, dunked off a Glass pass to begin the run. Then he rebounded a miss to put Ole Miss ahead 26-25.

Glass intercepted a nonchalant Miller pass and raced to a two-hand tomahawk slam.

On Ole Miss's next possession, Glass was fouled by Deron Feldhaus while shooting a three-pointer. His three free throws increased the lead to 31-25.

Another Eddie dunk off a Glass pass gave Ole Miss its largest lead: 33-25.

Then it was Uk's turn to counter.

A 9-3 run capped by Jeff Brassow's three-pointer brought UK within 36-34.

A Glass dunk and pass for a Joe Harvell basket pushed Ole Miss to another eight-point lead, 44-36.

Again, UK rallied.

John Pelphrey hit a three-pointer and Miller cut for a three-point play to keep Kentucky within 47-42 at halftime.

UK coach Rick Pitino wasted no time calling a timeout in the second half.

With 17:51 left, Pitino called one. He appeared to want tougher trapping on Glass. Seven seconds earlier, Glass had hit an open three-pointer to give Ole Miss a 50-45 lead.

Less than two minutes later, Pitino called another timeout.

Two more Glass moves and a UK turnover prompted the time with 16:04 left. Ole Miss led 55-47.

Posting up for the first time, Glass fed an inside pass to center Sean Murphy for a layup, then drilled a three-pointer to establish the eight-point lead.

Pitino's time followed a turnover in which Hanson passed a second after Woods vacated an area.

More Glass and referee trouble prompted a third Pitino timeout with 12:21 left.

With Ole Miss leading 60-51, Hanson rebounded a missed shot.

But with no outlet available, Hanson stood under the basket. He was immediately trapped by Glass and another Rebel.

Glass snatched the ball from Hanson and finger-rolled a basket.

Pitino turned to referee Don Ferguson, who anticipated a UK possession and ran 94 feet away from the action to the opposite baseline.

After Ferguson called Feldhaus for a low-post walk, Pitino called time with 12:21 left. The UK coach spent the early moments of the timeout glaring at Ferguson.

Pitino couldn't have been happy with UK's shooting either. The Cats made just 13 of 30 first-half shots.

Pitino's rapid-fire timeouts came in a stretch that saw UK miss 11 straight three-point attempts.

The seventh and eighth straight -- a Jeff Brassow airball and by Miller -- followed a trey by Joe Harvell.

Glass drilled a jumper to stretch the Ole Miss lead to 73-57.

UK's fourth timeout of the half followed eight seconds later, at 6:27.

Pitino ran out of timeouts with his fifth of the half at the 3:59 mark. He could only hope Glass had run out of baskets.

More Glass -- what else? -- prompted the timeout.

Two Glass free throws at the 5:29 mark gave him 30 points. A post-up turnaround over Miller put Ole Miss ahead 79-60 with 4:08 left.