Man sentenced to life in prison for ex-landlord's stabbing death

A man was sentenced Thursday to life in prison for the 2009 murder of his former landlord.

Roderick Blincoe, 53, will have to serve 20 years of the sentence before he is eligible for parole.

Fayette Circuit Judge Ernesto Scorsone followed a jury's recommendation in sentencing Blincoe in the death of Liese Carr on Sept. 12, 2009.

Blincoe told the judge an apology would be insufficient.

"There is nothing I can do to take it back, but I'm terribly sorry," he said just before he was sentenced.

Patricia Shaw, who described herself as a friend of a friend of Carr, said after the life sentence was handed down: "That really doesn't sound like life to me." She said she was concerned that Blincoe, who has an extensive arrest and conviction record, would be paroled.

Blincoe was on parole at the time of the stabbing.

Getting out of jail in the state of Kentucky is easier than it is in a game of Monopoly, Shaw said.

Carr, 53, died from severe blood loss after being stabbed repeatedly during an altercation at her home at 714 Aurora Avenue, off Walton Avenue, in Lexington.

The stabbing occurred during broad daylight, and several witnesses saw Blincoe walk up the driveway of Carr's home just before the stabbing, according to statements made in a three-day trial in the case last month. Blincoe had previously lived with Carr, who periodically rented out rooms in her home, attorneys said.

A next-door neighbor, who was outside working on his mailbox, saw Blincoe push something into Carr's abdomen, according to court statements. Witnesses said they heard Carr screaming "he's trying to kill me" as she was being attacked in her back yard.

Carr was stabbed repeatedly in the stomach, arms, hands, neck and back, autopsy photos showed.

Defense attorneys argued there was not enough evidence to determine who was the aggressor.

Jurors heard Carr breathlessly whisper "Blincoe" on a recording of a 911 emergency call she made after she was stabbed.

Police followed a trail of blood to a church on North Hanover Avenue, where they found Blincoe, according to court records.

On Thursday, Scorsone also sentenced Blincoe to 90 days on a misdemeanor trespassing charge for breaking into the church. He was originally charged with third-degree burglary. Defense attorneys argued during the trial that Blincoe broke into the church to collect his thoughts and to pray. Under state law, the 90 days must be served concurrently with the life sentence.

Scorsone advised Blincoe that he has the right to appeal his conviction.

Related stories from Lexington Herald Leader