A space heater was likely to blame for a fire that displaced a Lexington woman Christmas morning.
The fire damaged a home at 414 Silver Maple Way, off Fourth Street, about 9:18 a.m. Sunday. The woman, who was home alone, was able to get outside safely when she saw smoke.
Lexington fire department Major Mike Bossert said the woman was running the heater in a living room, which he described as "crowded."
"She had quite a bit of stuff in the room," he said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
Bossert said it hadn't been determined whether the heater was too close to combustible material, or whether there was a problem with the extension cord she used to plug it into the wall.
Either way, it should serve as a reminder to residents to be cautious as the weather gets colder and use of personal heaters increases, he said.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze quickly, but not before it destroyed the living room where the heater was located.
"It was a one room burn-out," Bossert said. "Everything in the one room was destroyed."
Several other rooms were damaged by smoke or water.
The woman was staying with family Sunday night, he said.