Lex-Care asks for help for clients

Requests for assistance to pay a utility bill and rent were received last week at Lex-Care.

Amy Wills, a social worker at Central Baptist Home Health Care, is counseling a divorced woman who needs $261.53 to pay her electric bill.

The woman lives in HUD housing. She has no income at this time and is responsible for her utility bills. She has been able to manage with financial and physical assistance from her family. She recently suffered two strokes and has had some bleeding in the brain. She also has cerebrovascular disease, congestive heart failure, hypertension, chronic bronchitis, hyperthyroidism and pressure ulcers. Her medical condition and ongoing course of treatment have resulted in hospital and additional pharmaceutical expenses, which led to the past-due utility bill.

She has applied for Social Security disability benefits, and a decision is pending. When approved, the benefit will supplement her allotment of food stamps and she will be more financially independent.

No income while recovering from fall

Shannon Gordon, a social worker at the Senior Citizen Center, is advising a single woman who needs $530 to pay her rent.

The woman is a retired state government employee who works part-time at Kroger. She recently fell and had surgery on her knee. She took unpaid time off, which resulted in the need for assistance to pay her rent. The doctor has released her to return to work at the end of this week. Then she will again be able to manage on her wages, retirement and Social Security income.

You can help: Send tax- deductible contributions to Lex-Care Inc. Emergency Fund, P.O. Box 1328, Lexington, Ky. 40508. Contact Lex-Care at (859) 227-2765 or