Lex-Care: Couple, single man need help with bills

Two requests were received at Lex-Care last week: one to pay utility bills, the other for a security deposit and first month's rent.

Beth Myers, a case manager at Mary Todd Family Resource Center, is working with a married couple who needs $186.65 to pay their water and electric bills.

The husband is disabled and has not worked since 2004. He received VA compensation benefits. As the result of a spinal cord injury, the wife has decreased her hours as an office manager and is looking for a full-time job that will allow her to remain seated. The couple has fallen behind on their bills. Once the wife finds another full-time job, they will be able to cover their living expenses.

Single man needs rent

Maggie Riley, a social worker at Bluegrass Comp Care, is assisting a single man with no family who needs $500 to pay a security deposit and first month's rent.

He lives on a fixed income and must move because his landlord will not accept subsidized housing tenants. The man suffers from mental disorders and has been unable to keep steady employment. Once he has relocated he will continue receiving treatment and enroll for training at the Vocational Rehabilitation Center.

You can help: Send tax-deductible contributions to Lex-Care Inc., Emergency Fund, P.O. Box 1328, Lexington, Ky. 40508. Contact Lex-Care at (859) 227-2765 or