Lex-Care: Two families need help with rent after loss of income

Two Lexington households requested assistance from Lex-Care last week to pay their rent.

Sarah Guevara, a case manager at the Bluegrass Domestic Violence Program, submitted a case on behalf of a client who needs $750 to pay her rent.

She is a married mother with two teenage children living with her. She is separated from her husband and is going to school to obtain her GED certificate. Her adult son had been contributing financially until he moved out of the home.

The loss of that income caused her to fall behind on her rent. She is disabled and unable to work at this time. Once the rent is paid she will be able to manage on the income she receives from her Social Security Disability benefit, which is her only income.

The second request came from Gabriel Brown, a social worker at the Jesse Clark Middle School Youth Service Center, who is counseling a separated father of two who needs $700 to pay his rent.

He is employed full time and has custody of his two children. His wife suffers from cancer and other medical problems.

Recently he was diagnosed with a fistula that has kept him from working until he has surgery. He is carrying insurance for the family, the cost of which is deducted from his paycheck.

He has received notice that he will begin receiving benefits from K-CHIP, which will remove the cost of insurance from his paycheck. He has applied for food stamps. He will return to work when he receives a medical release following his surgery and will also be looking for a second job to supplement the family's income.

You can help: Send tax-deductible contributions to Lex-Care Inc., Emergency Fund, P.O. Box 1328, Lexington, Ky., 40508. Contact Lex-Care at (859) 227-2765 or