Fayette County

Residents, pets safe after Sherman Avenue fire

Residents, pets safe after Sherman Avenue house fire

A small fire that started in the kitchen of a Sherman Avenue home Thursday was quickly extinguished by the Lexington Fire Department. The owners of the house were not home at the time of the fire, and they say their pets have been confirmed safe.
Up Next
A small fire that started in the kitchen of a Sherman Avenue home Thursday was quickly extinguished by the Lexington Fire Department. The owners of the house were not home at the time of the fire, and they say their pets have been confirmed safe.

After a kitchen fire Thursday morning at a house on Sherman Avenue, a woman who lives there said her pets were all found safe.

Emily Crockett wasn’t home when the fire brought a full Lexington Fire Department response to her house. Crockett said she returned to find her two dogs and two cats safe.

The two dogs, Pinky Lee and Dragon, were a little anxious after the fire but otherwise unhurt, Crockett said. The two cats were seen running out of the house at the time of the fire.

Firefighters were able to put out the fire before it caused serious damage thanks to a passerby who called 911, reporting that was coming from the house’s front door, Battalion Chief Mark Harvey said.

The fire is thought to have started in the kitchen, but Crockett told firefighters she hadn’t cooked recently. Until crews can eliminate an electrical or gas malfunction as possible causes, both will remain shut off, Harvey said.

  Comments