A burning candle could be to blame for a fire in an apartment building Tuesday evening just off Elm Tree Lane.
The fire was reported about 7 p.m. at 264 East Fourth Street. Heavy smoke and flames poured from the four-plex and traffic was blocked on parts of Elm Tree Lane and Fourth Street.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
Two of the apartment units were not occupied. The resident of a second-floor unit told authorities he had left a candle unattended, Battalion Chief Randy Gilliam said.
No one was injured in the fire. The second-floor apartment was heavily damaged and the other units had smoke and water damage, Gilliam said.