Fayette County

Apartment fire displaces 17 people

A fire that started after food was left unattended on a stove displaced the residents of a Lexington apartment building Tuesday.

The fire started at 9:11 a.m. at an apartment building at 302 Gunn Street, said Battalion Chief Harold Hoskins.

He said the sprinkler system put the fire out, but because of water in the light fixtures, the electricity to the three-story building was turned off.

The American Red Cross arranged for accommodations at a local hotel for the building's 17 residents, Hoskins said.

He said one woman was taken to the University of Kentucky Hospital for smoke inhalation.

  Comments