A new Italian restaurant on South Broadway caught fire Monday afternoon as employees were working inside, Fire Chief Robert Hendricks said.
The roof of Casanova Fine Italian at 855 South Broadway, formerly The Coach House, caught fire about 3:15 p.m., Hendricks said.
A cigarette butt discarded in mulch in nearby landscaping caused wooden trim on the building to catch fire, said Battalion Chief Harold Hoskins. The fire traveled up the trim and to the attic area, he said.
No one was injured in the blaze.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
Christine Brumagen, a waitress at the Waffle House next door to the restaurant, said she saw smoke but didn't think anything unusual until she saw flames shooting from the roof. She immediately called the fire department.
Hendricks said he thinks all the people in the restaurant were employees.
The damage was mostly contained to the rear exterior and attic, he said.
The sprinkler system came on inside the building, where there was little damage.