Three units of the University of Kentucky's Greg Page Apartments, 300 Alumni Drive, were damaged by fire Wednesday afternoon.
Lexington fire department Battalion Chief Harold Hoskins said the fire was caused by ashes and cigarette butts dumped into a trash can in a second-floor apartment.
At least seven residents were moved into other housing. Two of the apartments had major damage, and the other had smoke damage, UK fire marshal Greg Williamson said.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.