Fayette County

Nursing home fire sends resident to hospital

One resident of a Lexington nursing home went to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation from a Thursday morning fire that was quickly extinguished.

Fifteen other residents of Lexington Country Place, 700 Mason Headley Road, were moved to another part of the nursing home as smoke was cleared from the building, Lexington Fire Battalion Chief Brent Frizzell said. They were allowed to return to their rooms before noon Thursday, said Don Schwinn, executive director of the nursing home.

The fire was reported shortly after 7 a.m. Thursday. It started in Room 105 in a wall-mounted electrical heater, Frizzell said.

The fire was confined to that room and had been extinguished by a maintenance employee when firefighters arrived. However, there was smoke in the hallway outside the room, so the 15 residents were temporarily moved.

The woman who was in the room was taken to a Lexington hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation, Frizzell said.

Three or four employees of the nursing home were checked for smoke inhalation at the scene but did not require further treatment, he said.

  Comments