Fayette County

Woman smothers electrical fire with a towel

A Lexington woman used a wet towel to smother a small electrical box fire Thursday.

Sheila Combs, 52, said she was outside talking to a neighbor around 8:15 p.m. when she smelled smoke in her home on North Martin Luther King Boulevard.

Combs said she ran back into the home and got her adult special-needs son out, then called the fire department while looking for the source of the smoke.

When she pulled back the curtain to the laundry room, the room was full of smoke, and flames were shooting from the breaker box.

She had just gotten the fire under control when the fire department arrived, she said.

  Comments