No injuries were reported when a fire damaged a duplex at 3200 Mammoth Drive in Lexington on Friday night.
The fire began in the upper floor of the duplex shortly after 9:30 p.m. The resident of the upper level was not home at the time. Residents of the bottom floor were able to get out safely, said Lexington fire battalion chief Randy Gilliam.
The fire department had the fire extinguished "not long after" arriving, Gilliam said.
Two pets — a dog and a cat — died in the fire.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
Gilliam said it was too early to tell the cause of the fire, but said the fire department is investigating.