A Lexington couple were taken to the hospital after being overcome by carbon monoxide at their home Tuesday morning.
The Lexington fire department was dispatched to 3960 Weber Way at 9:11 a.m. after receiving a report of an unresponsive person at that address.
When paramedics arrived, they found an unconscious man and a woman who was still conscious but had a "lowered level of awareness" because of the carbon monoxide buildup in the home, Battalion Chief Marshall Griggs said.
Griggs did not release the couple's names; however, property records indicate that the home is owned by Joyce and Gregory Hudspeth. The Hudspeths were both listed in fair condition at the University of Kentucky Chandler Hospital on Tuesday night.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The couple had accidentally left their vehicle running in the home's attached garage overnight, which caused the carbon monoxide to build up in the home, Griggs said.
A few weeks ago, fire department paramedics began carrying clip-on carbon monoxide detectors on their first aid bags. One of those detectors was on a bag carried into the Weber Way house Tuesday morning, and it immediately let paramedics know the cause of the couple's illness.
"As soon as he entered the house, that alarm went into full alert," Griggs said, adding that without the alarm, "we could've even been affected by it."