Fayette County

Fayette County: Get a singing Valentine while supporting causes

Bluegrass Care & Rehab is selling Singing Valentines for Feb. 14 in the Lexington area.

If you would like to send a Sweetheart, Thank You or Appreciation Valentine call (859) 272-0608. Volunteers will go out and present a song and rose for $15 or a song, rose and candy for $25.

All proceeds will go to the American Heart Association or American Cancer Society.

Radio eye seeks volunteers

Central Kentucky Radio Eye (CKRE), a radio reading service for the visually and physically disabled, will hold volunteer orientation 10 to 11 a.m. Feb. 11 and 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Feb. 25.

Radio Eye is currently recruiting for office and outreach volunteers to help out around the studio during the week.

Office volunteers will schedule readers and control board operators, answer the phone and door, make copies, update spreadsheets and other general office duties.

Outreach volunteers will attend fairs and other events as well as give presentations to service groups explaining "who we are and what we do."

Radio Eye broadcasts the reading of newspapers, magazines and other printed news and information for blind and print-disabled individuals who tune into the service on special, free Radio Eye radios. Call Alanna at (859) 422-6390 to sign up for orientation.

Neighborhoods invited to apply for grants

The Department of Public Works and Environmental Quality invites local groups to apply for the 2011 Neighborhood and Community Sustainability Grant program, an opportunity to improve the environmental health of Lexington.

Grants are available for a wide range of projects, including rain gardens, green roofs, community gardens, streamside restoration, recycling programs, beautification projects (outside only), rain barrel projects, cleanup and restoration of illegal dump sites, litter projects, planting street trees and other projects to improve the environmental health of the community and meet the principles of sustainability.

All neighborhood and homeowner associations that are incorporated and have a complete slate of elected officers, as well as churches and public and private schools are eligible to apply for a grant.

Eligible applicants may apply for a maximum amount of $2,500. These are 100 percent matching grants. A match can be materials or in-kind services or a combination of both. Documentation must be provided on the value of all in-kind supplies, materials and services. In-kind matches may also include items such as documented use of vehicles or machinery or meals served to volunteers.

More information and application materials about this grant opportunity are available at Lexingtonky.gov/environmental.

Applications must be postmarked or submitted to the Department of Public Works and Environmental Quality office by 3 p.m. March 14. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.

Contact Louise Caldwell-Edmonds at (859) 425-2800 or e-mail louisec@lexingtonky.gov if you have questions or would like the grant application to be mailed.

UK psychology seeks child volunteers

The University of Kentucky Psychology Department is seeking 8- to 12-year-old boys and girls for research on children's ability to control responses and working memory.

Children will complete "kid-friendly" computer tasks, participate in one 1½ hour session and will be compensated $20 for their time. For more information call (859) 257-4977.

Conference for grandparents raising grandchildren

The 9th Annual Bluegrass Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Conference is 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. March 24 at the Clarion Hotel (Formerly Holiday Inn North) in Lexington.

The conference is for grandparents, relatives and professionals and includes a variety of workshops on legal, financial, mental health and parenting topics. Charlie Appelstein, president of Appelstein Training Resources, LLD, will conduct the keynote session and present two workshops.

The registration fee including lunch is $5 for grandparents or relatives and $35 for professionals ($45 if requesting CEUs/CLEs). Call (859) 257-5582 or go to http://ces.ca.uky.edu/fayette/ for more information.

Need water bill help?

H20 Help to Others helped more than 1,000 Kentucky American Water low-income customers receive financial assistance in 2010 to help with payment of their water bills.

The program is now in its 11th year after starting in 2000 under the name Water for Life and is administered for Kentucky American Water by Community Action Council.

Kentucky American Water contributes $60,000 annually to the H20 Help to Others program and approximately $1,000 is donated to the program annually by customers who add an extra $1 to their water bill payments.

Charlie Lanter, manager of program development at Community Action Council, said the H20 program helps low-income customers avoid impossible choices.

The program provides assistance for water service payment only. It does not cover payment for other utility services for which Kentucky American Water may bill, such as city wastewater services or garbage fees.

Households with incomes up to 150 percent of the federal poverty guidelines are eligible to apply for assistance. Customers should call Community Action Council at 1-800-244-2275 for a complete list of program requirements.

Additional agencies assist Kentucky American Water customers who reside in areas not served by Community Action Council.

Those agencies are Northern Kentucky Community Action Commission (for customers in Gallatin, Grant and Owen counties), Foothills Community Action Partnership (for customers in Clark County), and Bluegrass Community Action Agency (for customers in Jessamine, Scott and Woodford counties). Community Action Council serves customers in Fayette, Bourbon and Harrison counties.

For more information about H20 Help to Others, contact Community Action Council at 1-800-244-2275.

For information about other water bill payment assistance programs or to learn more about payment plan options call Kentucky American Water's customer service center at 1-800-678-6301.

To learn more about how to manage household water usage go to Kentuckyamwater.com and click "Conservation."