Madison County

Five treated after fire at Richmond apartment building

A woman went to the hospital and four other people were treated for smoke inhalation after a fire Friday morning at a Richmond apartment building, according to the Richmond Fire Department.

Firefighters rescued four people from second-story windows using ladders in the blaze, reported after 7 a.m. Friday at 210 South Third Street, fire department spokesman Corey Lewis said.

One unidentified woman with burns was taken to a Richmond hospital and was later transferred to University of Kentucky Hospital, but Lewis did not know her condition. Four others were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

Heavy smoke was coming from the building when firefighters arrived.

The fire started on a bedroom mattress in the apartment occupied by the woman who was taken to the hospital, Lewis said. She was a smoker, but Lewis said "we can't definitively say" that smoking was the cause. The fire remains under investigation.

Smoke damage was reported throughout the building. The American Red Cross was contacted to provide needs for the other tenants.

  Comments