Woodford County

None hurt, dog saved in Versailles fire

VERSAILLES — Woodford County firefighters returning from a fire call Thursday morning discovered and fought a house fire in Versailles.

The fire at 187 Broadway damaged the kitchen in a small white house and caused some smoke damage, but no one was home at the time, said Capt. Wayne Hawkins of the Versailles Fire Department.

The fire was reported shortly before 9:30 a.m. by a county fire crew returning from a transformer fire on Ky. 33 south of Versailles, Hawkins said. The county firefighters saw smoke, reported it to dispatchers and began fighting the blaze before Versailles firefighters arrived to go inside the house.

Ashley Walton, daughter of resident Melissa Walton, was thankful that county firefighters saw the smoke.

"If they hadn't ... we might be having a different conversation right now," Ashley Walton said. Melissa Walton lives in the house with her husband, Jason Ginter, and two sons, Austin Walton, 14, and Jeremy Walton, 13.

The fire started in the kitchen, but a cause was not immediately available.

A mixed-breed black dog named Jake was unhurt, but some fish in an aquarium that burst were not so lucky.

"We put' em in a sink and put water on them, but I don't know if they're going to live or not," Hawkins said.