Woodford County

Dryer causes fire at Versailles Road motel

A quick response by Lexington firefighters and a sprinkler system prevented a building at the Day's Motel at 1500 Versailles Road from going up in flames Saturday evening.

An industrial dryer overheated in the basement laundry room, said Lexington Fire Maj. Mike Tracy.

"The sprinkler kept it in check until we got here," Tracy said.

Upon the arrival of four engines and two ladder trucks, firefighters quickly knocked down flames. Only the laundry room and the floor of the room above was damaged. No one was hurt.

"They have the best response," Mahmoud Shalash, co-owner of the motel, said of firefighters. "Within seconds — not minutes — they were here."

Shalash said the motor on the dryer was replaced last month.

  Comments