Lexington police apprehend ex-convict who is suspect in arson, card-game shooting

Adam Purnell Duff's Kentucky Department of Corrections photo.
Adam Purnell Duff's Kentucky Department of Corrections photo.

A recent parolee accused of a card-game shooting and setting a house on fire was caught Tuesday, according to Lexington police.

Adam Duff, 27, was spotted by a patrol officer on Seventh Street and was chased on foot, according to a news release by Lexington police. He was eventually caught behind 558 Breckenridge at about 12:25 p.m.

Duff was considered armed and dangerous, according to police.

The crimes are unrelated except for the suspect, police said.

Duff, 27, was in a card game Sunday at 804 Warfield Place when he stood up, pulled a gun and demanded money from another player, Lexington police Sgt. Ann Welch said.

When the player refused to give Duff money, Duff shot him in the leg, Welch said. The victim was taken to a hospital with injuries that were not considered life-threatening.

Duff, of Lexington, also is accused of starting a house fire Friday on Leestown Road.

The homeowner, Clarence Woodrum, 68, was rescued by passers-by and was uninjured. However, at least one dog and a cat died in the fire that heavily damaged the house.

Woodrum said his housekeeper's boyfriend allegedly threatened to burn down the house as he left moments before the fire started.

According to the Kentucky Department of Corrections website, Duff was recently released on parole after being convicted of second-degree robbery.

Duff was first arrested in 2006, when he was 18 years old, according to court documents. Duff pleaded guilty in that case to third-degree burglary and giving an officer a false name.

He was put on probation instead of serving the two years and 30 days recommended by prosecutors, according to the documents.

Duff was arrested again a few months later on a theft charge, according to the documents. He pleaded guilty to stealing a large amount of Prilosec from Wal-Mart.

His probation was revoked, and he served about four years in prison, according to the documents.

In a letter to a judge, Duff wrote that he finished serving his time on April 1, 2009. On April 14, 2009, Duff robbed a Chase Bank on North Broadway, according to the documents.

He pleaded guilty to robbing the bank and received a 10-year sentence, five more than the recommended sentence, according to the documents.

Duff was released on parole on July 1, according to the documents.

Related stories from Lexington Herald Leader