Ex-Cat Miller charged again in alleged ticket scam

Former University of Kentucky basketball player Derrick Miller, already facing a charge of theft by deception as part of an alleged ticket scam in Fayette County, has been charged with two additional counts in Clark County.

Miller, 42, was charged late Monday afternoon with two felony counts of theft by deception, according to an arrest warrant filed in Clark District Court.

Winchester Police Sgt. Donald Skinner said two Winchester businessmen paid a total of $2,595 for lower-level basketball seats, and Miller deposited the money into his private bank account. Neither men received tickets from Miller. One man paid $1,200 on April 2, 2009, and the other paid $1,395 on Sept. 5, 2008, Skinner said.

Skinner said the men did not wish to be identified because of "embarrassment."

On Sept. 8, Lexington police charged Miller with one count of theft by deception, a felony.

Lexington police said Miller accepted payment in advance for tickets when they weren't available to him to sell. That charge followed the Sept. 1 arrest of former UK star Ed Davender in a similar scam.

Miller played at UK 1986-90. He and Davender were teammates during Miller's first two seasons at UK.

During his senior year at UK, Miller was captain and leading scorer for Rick Pitino's first Kentucky team. That year, Miller set the UK record he still holds for most three-point attempts in one season, with 298. He made 99 of those shots, the third-most in one season.

According to UK's basketball media guide, Miller recently earned his degree in social work thanks to the Cawood Ledford Scholarship Fund.

Davender was a UK guard 1984-88. He is 11th on UK's all-time men's scoring list, with 1,637 career points.

Miller and Davender had worked years ago for a publication called Kentucky Sports History, and both were fired for trying to sell tickets to advertisers, President Todd Ferguson said last week.

Miller was transferred from the Fayette County jail to the Clark County jail late Monday afternoon. He remained in the Clark County jail Tuesday in lieu of a $3,000 cash bond. He is scheduled to appear Wednesday afternoon before Clark District Judge Earl-Ray Neal.

Related stories from Lexington Herald Leader