Richmond man whose wife was found dead is arrested after standoff

Jason Singleton
Jason Singleton

SOMERSET — A Richmond man whose wife was found dead in a field Wednesday took hostages at a Somerset trucking company Thursday afternoon before he gave up and police arrested him, police said.

State police talked to Jason Edward Singleton, 35, about his wife, Angela, on Thursday night, but they did not charge him in connection with her death, Somerset police Detective Chris Gates said.

Angela Singleton had been missing since last weekend.

Her body was found about 1:30 p.m. Wednesday in the rural Valley View area of Madison County, near the Jessamine County line.

Madison County Coroner Jimmy Cornelison said the cause of her death had not been established, but state police and the Madison County Sheriff's Office are investigating the death as a homicide.

Police arrested Jason Singleton following a series of odd events in Somerset.

Sgt. William Russell, a security guard at Somerset Mall, approached Singleton after getting a report about a man smoking in the mall.

Singleton was acting jumpy and had a pair of pants draped over his shoulder, said Tony DePrato, Russell's supervisor.

When the guard asked Singleton whether he had a receipt, Singleton pulled money and receipts from his pocket, dropped them on the floor and walked away, DePrato said.

Russell called 911 and followed Singleton, meeting him as he came out of a women's bathroom into a hallway.

Singleton pulled a pistol from his waistband and held it under his shirt as he insisted on going back through the mall, but Russell, who was unarmed, blocked him, DePrato said.

Russell said that at one point Singleton called a woman on his cell phone and said something to the effect of, "No matter what happens, remember I love you," DePrato said.

Singleton ultimately left the hallway by a back door and ran from the mall, said DePrato, who credited Russell with preventing a potentially serious situation.

Somerset police said in a news release that Singleton stole a car in a business area behind the mall but wrecked it nearby.

He was hurt but took off on foot.

Officers caught up with him in the parking lot of Super Service, a trucking company off the 914 Bypass south of the mall.

There, an officer shot Singleton with a beanbag in an effort to subdue him, but he ran inside the trucking office.

Somerset police Detective Lt. Shannon Smith praised officers' restraint in "approaching an armed individual, not knowing or suspecting he may be involved in everything up to and including the worst of crimes, which would be murder."

There were six men in the trucking company office. Two managed to run out, but Singleton took the other four hostage for about 15 minutes, holding them at gunpoint, Smith said in a news release.

During the standoff, Singleton asked to speak to the chief of police. Acting Chief Doug Nelson got Singleton to calm down and give up, Detective Gates said.

Singleton left his gun in the office, came out and surrendered without further incident, Gates said.

Singleton said he was in Somerset because he was going to a house at nearby Lake Cumberland, but he didn't want to talk at length, Gates said.

Gates said Somerset police charged Singleton with disorderly conduct, carrying a concealed deadly weapon, car theft, criminal mischief and four counts each of wanton endangerment and unlawful imprisonment.

"On our end of it, this is just a guy who's very distraught and did some stupid things," Gates said.

Singleton was lodged in the Pulaski County Detention Center. The jail's Web site did not list bond for him.

Related stories from Lexington Herald Leader