Two houses were destroyed, and a third house and a vacant restaurant building were heavily damaged in a three-alarm fire early Wednesday morning on Main Street in the tiny Harrison County community of Berry.
Three fire departments — Berry, Cynthiana and Harrison County — responded to the fire, which was reported at 4:30 a.m. There were no injuries.
Berry Fire Chief Orla Whitaker said the fire might have been caused by faulty electrical wiring. Fire officials were still investigating Wednesday.
A family lived in the house where the fire started. "The people were lucky to get out. Somebody happened to see it and knocked on the door," Whitaker said.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The State Fire Marshal's office was called to investigate, Deputy Fire Marshal Mike Haney said.
It was the second major fire in Berry, a community with about 500 in northern Harrison County, near the Pendleton County line.
In December, four people were killed in an early-morning fire on North First Street. Charlie Tucker, 31, his cousin Nikki Pike, 27, and two of her children, Cameron, 6, and Nicholas, 3, died in a house fire.
The cause of that fire was probably a faulty kerosene heater in one of the downstairs bedrooms.