Suspect in Lexington doctor's slaying to be extradited to Kentucky

Marty Roe at Wednesday's hearing in Logan County, Ohio, on Nov. 16, 2011.Photo by Joel Mast | Bellefontaine Examiner
Marty Roe at Wednesday's hearing in Logan County, Ohio, on Nov. 16, 2011.Photo by Joel Mast | Bellefontaine Examiner

The man accused of killing Lexington dermatologist Martha Post was ordered back to Kentucky during a court hearing Wednesday in Logan County, Ohio.

Marty Roe, 62, is charged with murder, tampering with evidence and harassing communication. Roe has been held in Ohio since he was arrested there several days after Post was killed on Sept. 1. He refused to return to Kentucky voluntarily.

During Wednesday's extradition hearing, Logan County Common Pleas Court Judge Mark S. O'Connor was presented with a governor's warrant signed by Ohio Gov. John R. Kasich. It ordered that Roe be turned over to Fayette County sheriff's deputies.

The warrant was issued in response to a formal letter from Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear to Kasich demanding Roe's return.

"This court finds all of the paperwork is in order. Further, this court orders this defendant held until the commonwealth of Kentucky can pick him up," O'Connor said.

With no argument from Roe or his attorney, Roe was taken back to his cell. He will be held in Ohio until Fayette County officials come to get him, Logan County assistant prosecutor Dan LaRoche said.

It's unclear how long that will take. Spokeswoman Jennifer Miller said the Fayette County sheriff's office does not release information about when prisoners will be transported, "for the officers' safety as well as the safety of the defendant."

Authorities in Lexington have been trying to get Roe returned to Kentucky so he can appear on charges that he fatally shot Post, 55, as she left her office.

Last month, the Ohio judge granted a prosecutor's motion to keep Roe in jail there for 60 more days. Prosecutors said the extra time was needed to give Lexington authorities time to get the governor's warrant ordering his return to Kentucky.

If Roe had waived extradition rather than fighting it, deputies would have been able to bring him back to Kentucky within 20 days, Fayette County Sheriff Kathy Witt has said.

Roe initially was arrested at a bar in Lakeview, Ohio, on an outstanding warrant stemming from allegations that he made harassing calls to Post professing his love and asking her to leave her husband.

Post's husband, Dr. Robert Truitt, has said that Roe had been stalking Post before the shooting.

Roe had done renovation work at the Huguenard Drive office building where Truitt and his wife worked and at the couple's home. He had lived in the basement of the building for a while, Truitt said.

An arrest warrant indicated that Post had fired Roe because of a drinking problem. Roe, a drifter who has spent time in the Lexington and Dayton, Ohio, areas, has been in trouble several times for alcohol violations, according to court documents.

Authorities searched Roe's van in Lakeview, where he was living out of a camper. An arrest warrant said investigators found "a gun and bullets with similar characteristics to the one used to shoot Ms. Post" in the van's engine compartment.

Related stories from Lexington Herald Leader