Patient at VA Medical Center on Leestown Road is charged with rape

A resident patient at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center on Leestown Road has been arrested on charges that he raped a fellow veteran inside the hospital.

Bobby Anderson was charged with aggravated sexual abuse after he was accused of raping the woman, identified only by her initials in an affidavit filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in Lexington.

According to the affidavit, Anderson denied the accusation, telling Veterans Affairs Police officer Steven Wesolowski that the sexual encounter, which happened in a women's restroom, was consensual.

Anderson's attorney, Andrew M. Stephens, did not immediately return calls for comment Friday night.

Wesolowski, two other VA officers and two Lexington police detectives began investigating the case Tuesday night, shortly after the woman told a nurse at the hospital that Anderson had raped her.

The woman told police she had signed out of the building to go outside and smoke. She said that she met Anderson and two other men outside and that the men were "smoking something she did not recognize" in a truck in the parking lot.

The woman and Anderson then walked to the vending area in a nearby building, where she said Anderson asked her, "Why can't I be with you?" The woman replied that she was married, and the two walked down the hall toward the women's restroom, the affidavit said.

Anderson allegedly stopped the woman in front of the restroom and said, "Hey, I didn't show you my new tattoo," before grabbing her by the shoulders and pushing her inside. She said he locked the door behind them and raped her.

The woman cried as she told Wesolowski about the encounter, the affidavit said. She also cried when Wesolowski asked her about a mark on her neck.

According to the affidavit, the woman had filed a complaint about a week before the alleged rape with VA clinical coordinator Cynthia Brown. She complained that Anderson "was trying to 'get closer to me' than she wanted," the affidavit said.

A portion of the report included in the affidavit said Anderson had given her his cellphone number and told her to call if she wanted to go outside and that he knocked on her door late in the evening.

The woman "is uncomfortable with this behavior" and had told Anderson she is married, the report said.

When officers arrested Anderson and asked him whether he wanted an attorney, he said, "No, I want to tell you what happened," the affidavit said.

He told VA officer Robert Lawrence that while they were at the vending machines, the woman made sexual advances toward him. He "gave in," and they went to the ladies' room, where they had sex, he told the officer.

He told the officer that he and the woman had had a relationship for about a week and a half before the encounter and that he had text messages saved on his phone that would prove it.

The affidavit did not say anything about Anderson's or the woman's military service, nor did it clearly say what they were being treated for.

Anderson was being held in a psychiatric unit at the VA Medical Center, according to court documents. Personal information was redacted from the public copy of the affidavit. A status conference in the case has been scheduled for Tuesday.