Surveillance video shows man approaching slain Lexington doctor's van

Dr. Martha Post
Dr. Martha Post Courtesy of Commonwealth Dermatology

Police think the man accused of killing a Lexington dermatologist was caught on surveillance video approaching the doctor's van the night she died, according to a detective's testimony Tuesday.

Marty Lee Roe, 62, is accused of murdering Dr. Martha Post, 55, who was shot Sept. 1 outside her Huguenard Drive office while she was in her van preparing to leave. She was pronounced dead at 8:25 p.m. After she was shot, her van went backward out of the lot and over a median, and crashed into a car.

Roe has pleaded not guilty to charges of murder, tampering with physical evidence and harassing communications.

Fayette District Judge Kim Wilkie waived Roe's case to a grand jury Tuesday in a hearing that revealed a few more details about the case.

Detective Bill Brislin testified police had obtained surveillance video from a day-care center near Post's practice. The recording shows a man approaching the van's rolled-down driver's window before Post backed out of a parking space, but bushes blocked the view and investigators could not see what occurred once the man got to the van. The man then walks away, Brislin said.

The video does not provide a clear picture of the man, Brislin said, but the man's hair is similar to Roe's, which is stark white and has typically been slicked back during court appearances.

Post's husband, Dr. Robert Truitt, told police Post parked in the parking space seen on video. Post did not park in front of her dermatology practice because she was scared of Roe and didn't want him to know when she was at work, Brislin said.

Roe was arrested at a bar in Lakeview, Ohio, on a warrant for harassing communications stemming from phone calls he made to Post, according to an arrest warrant. He was later charged with murder and tampering with evidence after police interviewed him and found a gun and bullets in the engine compartment of his van.

"The handgun was wrapped in a plastic bag and hidden behind the battery in the engine compartment," leading to the tampering charge, Brislin said.

Forensic testing is pending on the gun and bullets, but it appears to be the same caliber weapon used to gun down Post.

The harassing communications charge stems from two reports filed against Roe in 2010: one from Post in June and a follow-up report from Truitt in December. Brislin said a summons was issued for Roe for the complaints, but they were not filed as an arrest warrant until police wanted to interview Roe about Post's murder.

Brislin briefly detailed other evidence police have in the case, including a data CD of Roe's cellphone activity and multiple cellphones found in his van.

After the hearing, Roe's attorney, Public Defender Shannon Brooks-English, addressed some of the evidence against Roe, including witness statements that he was in the Lexington area the day of the shooting.

"We know that Mr. Roe was here, but there was no reason for him not to be here," Brooks-English said. "He was in and out of Lexington all the time, and he did have family here."

She said an investigator from the public defender's office would begin his own investigation while Roe's case is being reviewed by a grand jury.

Meanwhile, Roe is being held at the Fayette County jail on a $75,000 bond.

"He's still a little confused and a little shocked about all this," Brooks-English said.

Related stories from Lexington Herald Leader