A grease fire did substantial damage to 1054 Elmendorf Court in Gainesway on Saturday night. Homeowner Debbie Flowers said she put a skillet of grease on the stove to fry chicken, turned the heat on and stepped away from the stove briefly.
Next thing, "There were flames shooting up the hood vent," Flowers said. She sat in her car in front of the house, watching firemen chop a hole in the roof. Flowers said her husband, Jim, and son Jamie were also at home when the fire started. The Flowers family has lived in Gainesway for more than 25 years.
Firefighters arrived about 7 p.m.
Fire department Major Shaun Brown said major damage was confined to the kitchen, but there was smoke damage to other parts of the house. "The flames went straight up the hood. When we arrived, there were flames and smoke coming out of the roof," he said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
Around 8 p.m., firemen were still at the scene. Brown said firemen were still removing first floor drywall and pulling insulation from the attic, where embers were still smoldering.