A woman sleeping at a house on Cheddington Lane was injured early Wednesday when a lightning strike caused a chunk of drywall to fall on her.
The woman was not identified. She was taken to University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries, Lexington Fire Battalion Chief Ed Davis said.
Firefighters were called to the house in the 3500 block of Cheddington, off Chinoe Road, about 6 a.m. for a report of a lightning strike and an injured person.
Davis said lightning apparently struck the roof near the chimney, blowing a section of the roof off and causing the four-by-eight foot piece of drywall to fall on the woman.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
No one else was injured. The lightning did not spark a fire.