Seven people were rescued from balconies and others were treated for smoke inhalation when an apartment complex on Devonport Drive in Lexington caught fire early Wednesday, a fire department official said.
Batallion Chief Andy Areaux said the fire broke out about 3:30 a.m. at 2220 Devonport Drive. The apparent cause was a candle in a bedroom of one of the apartments, he said.
Those rescued were brought to the ground on ladders, Areaux said.
Areaux said no one was taken to the hospital. He did not know the number of people treated for smoke inhalation.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
Winn Stephens, a spokesman for the Bluegrass Chapter of the American Red Cross, said four families — a total of 13 people — were placed in hotels after the fire rendered their apartments uninhabitable.