Accused killer describes deadly homeowners meeting

LOUISVILLE — As he prepared for a homeowners' association meeting last month, Dr. Mahmoud Yousef Hindi packed a loaded revolver and six spare bullets in his briefcase, told his family to have dinner without him and walked down the street to a community center.

Once there, Hindi told Louisville police detectives, his frustrations over several battles with the association erupted. Within 30 minutes of the Sept. 6 meeting's start, David Merritt, 73, and Marvin Fisher, 69, lay dead or mortally wounded on the floor. Hindi shot the men, then told onlookers to call the police, he wasn't going to hurt anyone else and wasn't going to leave.

"They just made the killer in me. I had to do it," Hindi told police hours after the shootings. "Those are not human beings. Those are actually big-time racists."

Hindi is charged with two counts of murder and multiple counts of wanton endangerment in the shooting at the Spring Creek Homeowners Association. He has pleaded not guilty as prosecutors weigh whether to seek a death sentence for the Jordanian-trained doctor with an expired medical license. Hindi is scheduled to return to court Nov. 2.

Prosecutors released Hindi's police interview as part of an exchange of evidence with defense attorneys. On the tape, Hindi recounts the months leading up to the shooting, his prolonged battles with the association and the sleepless night before the shootings.

During the more than four hours of video, Hindi speaks clearly and unemotionally about what led to the shooting, as well as the shooting itself. At one point, Hindi diagrammed the shooting on a whiteboard for officers.

Hindi recounted disputes with neighbors in the year before the shooting over the size and location of a fence near the master bedroom of a house owned by his children in the neighborhood. The size and location of the fence, and later a driveway extension, became such sore points that the association took Hindi to court several times. Hindi put the fence up. He was told to remove it, but he let it stand for several months while the court cases played out. By the time the shooting took place, the fence had been removed.

Those court hearings stoked Hindi's animosity toward Merritt and Fisher, who were board members of the association.