Gun, ammunition, witness tie man to Lexington double shooting, documents say

Dynell A. Stewart
Dynell A. Stewart

Dynell Stewart II, the man charged with murder, assault and wanton endangerment in connection with a weekend shooting, was arraigned Wednesday afternoon in Fayette District Court.

A "not guilty" plea was entered on behalf of Stewart, 21, during Wednesday's hearing. Stewart's next court date was scheduled for Feb. 7.

Meanwhile, court documents give more details about the Sunday shooting on Bolivar Avenue near Tolly-Ho Restaurant on South Broadway.

A uniform citation identifies Stewart, of Frankfort, as a Kentucky State University student. A gun, ammunition and a witness tie Stewart to the shooting, according to court documents.

Allen Smith, 23, of Lexington, died Monday night after he was shot in the head multiple times. The second victim, Jordan Orgeman, is in serious condition at University of Kentucky Chandler Hospital after he was shot in the abdomen, according to a criminal complaint filed by Lexington police.

At 2:47 a.m. Sunday, police were called to 606 South Broadway about two men who had been assaulted by a person in a red passenger car.

A car fitting that description was stopped in the area for disregarding a traffic light, and Sgt. Dave Richardson came into contact with the driver, who was Stewart, the complaint said.

Detectives found surveillance video of a vehicle matching the description of the car. The vehicle followed the victims' car and then fled the scene after the shooting occurred, according to the court documents.

A police search of Stewart's apartment in Frankfort found a .40-caliber pistol with ammunition consistent with shell casings collected at the shooting scene, the complaint said.

The gun was sent to the Kentucky State Police crime lab, which determined it to be the weapon used in the shooting, the complaint said.

A witness also positively identified Stewart as the person who had shot the two victims as they sat parked in the car.

A passenger in the car that was shot, Anthony T. Garrett, told police he took cover but heard the sound of 10 gunshots.

Stewart remains in jail without bond. The judge did not set a bond for Stewart because he is deemed to be a danger to the community.

Related stories from Lexington Herald Leader