Crime

Friend stops by to walk dogs, finds Lexington house's kitchen on fire

Firefighters put out a blaze Wednesday at 122 Preston Avenue.
Firefighters put out a blaze Wednesday at 122 Preston Avenue. Herald-Leader

Justin Stookey stopped by a house on Preston Avenue on Wednesday afternoon to walk two dogs for a friend when he noticed smoke coming from the kitchen.

Stookey immediately called 911 and went into the house to get the animals.

The fire started on the stove in the kitchen at 122 Preston Avenue, Lexington Fire Department Capt. Matt Galati said.

Galati said the fire did not extend beyond the kitchen.

None of the residents was in the home when the fire started.

"The kitchen was in flames," neighbor Jeannie Brewer said. She said Stookey called 911 and then borrowed her small kitchen fire extinguisher and a bag of flour and went into the house to get the animals.

  Comments