A fire at the base of wooden steps outside an apartment at 215 East Loudon Avenue in Lexington trapped a man Thursday night.
Battalion Chief Jeff Nantz said one side of the building had extensive damage. Nantz said he didn't know the cause of the fire. Fire investigators were on the way.
Two mattresses were under exterior steps of the building, and neighbor Joi Parr said she was told that one of the mattresses had been set on fire.
Firefighters were called at 10:44 p.m.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The apartment's tenant, who declined to give his full name, said he had just walked into the apartment to get a cigarette and a lighter, and "the next thing I know my apartment is full of smoke."
Nantz said the man was hanging out a window on the side of the house when firefighters arrived. They extended ladders and brought the man and his two cats down safely.