Police briefly closed Fourth Street about noon Friday after fumes were reported in a building at Transylvania University.
According to Transy officials, some students were working in a printmaking room at the university's Shearer Art Building when they noticed vapor and fumes coming from a drain.
Firefighters and hazardous-materials crews checked the drain and tested the fumes but found nothing harmful.
Nevertheless, Fourth Street was shut down between Broadway and Upper Street as a precaution.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.