A 9-year-old boy remained in critical condition Monday after being shot Saturday afternoon, and Lexington police said they need more help to find the man who shot him.
Officers have received numerous tips since releasing a composite sketch of the shooter Sunday, but no arrests have been made and more tips are needed, said police spokeswoman Sherelle Roberts.
The child has been at University of Kentucky Chandler Hospital since the shooting. He was in critical condition Monday, Roberts confirmed.
No names have been released by police, but the boy's name is Antonio according to at least two fund-raising efforts on his behalf on GoFundMe.com.
Justin Hagan, who described himself as a family friend, started one of the online drives. He said the child's parents will need financial help. The parents are spending every moment with their son, he said.
"If you can imagine surgery, emergency bills, this is all expensive," he said. "Their priority right now is to tend to Antonio and his needs."
Antonio's family came to Kentucky from Louisiana after being displaced by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, according to Hagan. Antonio's mother had relatives here, he said. The boy has a sister and two brothers, Hagan said.
Asked Monday afternoon how the family is doing, Hagan said, "We are still asking for prayers." He described the boy's condition as "touch and go."Hagan said he met Antonio's mom about a year ago, when they worked in the same office in Lexington. Hagan said he works in health care.
He declined to reveal the parents' names. He also said he wouldn't discuss any details of the shooting, citing the continuing police investigation.
Roberts said Monday that the shooting doesn't appear to be related to road rage, and the family apparently didn't know the shooter.
The boy's parents told police that they were driving near Hollow Creek and Russell Cave roads about 5:30 p.m. Saturday when someone fired into their GMC Envoy, wounding the boy. At least two shots were fired, according to police. The parents pulled into the Russell Cave Plaza, and police were called from there.
The back window of the Envoy was shot out, Lt. Kevin Metcalf said Saturday night. A vehicle parked in front of a house on Russell Cave Road also was hit by gunfire, he said.
Police initially reported that the boy had been wounded in the shoulder, but they said later he had been struck in the neck. Officers described his wound as life threatening.
Police said they worked with the family to develop the composite sketch of the shooter, described as a Latino man age 19 to 24. They also released photos of a white four-door Nissan Altima that the shooter allegedly was driving.