Indiana pastor, U of L researcher accused of seeking sex with minors in Frankfort

David James Brown, left, and Anwar Gamal Mohamed.
David James Brown, left, and Anwar Gamal Mohamed. Lexington

An Indiana pastor was placed on administrative leave after being arrested on a charge of arranging to meet a minor for sex in Frankfort, according to the church.

David James Brown, 46, of Indiana was arrested Wednesday when he traveled to Frankfort to meet with a supposed minor he met via a messaging app called Kik, according to the attorney general’s office. The person he was talking to through the app was an undercover officer with Attorney General Andy Beshear’s cyber crimes unit.

While on Kik, Brown asked the minor to “engage in sex acts with him,” according to the attorney general’s office. Brown has been charged with contacting a minor electronically for a sex offense.

First Christian Church of Jeffersonville, Ind., confirmed that Brown was a senior pastor in the following statement:

“This is a sad day for our church. On June 15, we learned of criminal allegations against our senior pastor, David Brown, that cut to the heart of the trust placed in the church. We take these allegations seriously. Once we became aware of the situation, Mr. Brown was placed on temporary administrative leave and relieved of all his ministerial duties pending further investigations. We pray for everyone involved, and we ask the community to pray for our church as we work through this difficult time.”

Brown is being held in the Franklin County jail with a $10,000 bond.

In addition to the pastor, a Louisville man was charged Wednesday in Frankfort with arranging to meet an investigator posing as a minor, the attorney general’s office reported.

Anwar Gamal Mohamed, 33, is accused of arranging through text messages and email to “engage in sex acts” with the supposed minor.

Mohamed told investigators during his arrest that he is a Canadian citizen on a work visa for a medical research job at the University of Louisville, according to the attorney general’s office. He also is being held at the Franklin County jail on a $10,000 bond.