About 200 students at Lexington's Meadowthorpe Elementary School were moved from their classrooms into the cafeteria Monday morning after a gas leak was detected.
No one was injured, and the students were back in class within about an hour, Fayette Schools spokeswoman Lisa Deffendall said.
The leak apparently was connected to renovation work at Meadowthorpe, she said.
Someone smelled gas in one hallway about 8:45 a.m., shortly after school opened, officials said. Students were evacuated from about six classrooms in that hallway while firefighters and gas company representatives investigated and made repairs.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The school was calling parents to inform them, Deffendall said.